I get to learn way more than most moms do about the trials and tribulations of breastfeeding BEFORE I have children.
The human body is truly astonishing. The fact that a mother’s body will produce milk with higher calories for premature babies or babies who need to do some growth catch up is just one beyond amazing attribute of a mother’s milk.
Breastfeeding Perks for baby:
- Antibodies & Immunities
- Babies breastfed exclusively for 6 months are likely to have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses & episodes of diarrhea
- Lower SIDS risk
Breastfeeding Perks for mom:
- Reduces risk of cancer – breast, uterine & ovarian
- Promotes postpartum weight loss
- Decreases risk of postmenopausal osteoporosis
- Child spacing – breastfeeding delays ovulation
- Saves money – at least $800/year
Who knows… maybe becoming a Certified Breastfeeding Consultant is in my future 🙂