The Transfer

Delta Community College was where my journey into the world of dietetics began. I started out at a community college to save money and hopefully be able to graduate a semester early by doing what Delta called a MACRAO Agreement. After transferring to Central Michigan I quickly found out that my expectations were wrong. I was not going to graduate a semester early.

MACRAO Agreement is designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate colleges and universities. It provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many (and in some cases all) of the General Education Requirements at participating Michigan four-year colleges and universities.  

When I started at Central Michigan, I was under the impression that with the MACRAO Agreement my gen. eds. were taken care of. I was wrong again.  After completing an audit at CMU, I found out CMU has something called U.P. classes (I still don’t know what U.P. stands for) and I was 34 credits behindNeedless to say, I was a bit surprising thinking I would be able to graduate early and now I was behind and would have to cram in a bunch of credits to even graduate on-time!


If you’re thinking about transferring to a university, talk to an advisor at the university you plan on transferring to and ask them what classes to take at the community college. They will have the most up-to-date information on what classes will and won’t transfer so you can be as prepared as possible. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s